When such a thing as divorce happens, it can be a very stressful and heartbreaking affair. However, the reality of the situation dictates that you will still need to hire a divorce attorney. Here are the most important things you will need to consider when doing so.
1. The very first thing you should look into is exactly how much experience a contested divorce lawyer houston tx actually has. When it comes time to fight for your rights and your property, you definitely will not need a newbie lawyer assisting you in your case. You will want someone who knows the judges and who has worked cases in front of them in the past. This means your lawyer will not be going in with a blind eye.
2. Ask for or look for testimonials from clients. This can be done either in person or by searching online. There are many websites these days which are devoted to nothing but providing consumer reviews for all sorts of services. These should be reviewed before any hiring of attorneys is completed. Remember, one of the best measures of an attorney is how satisfied their previous clients have been. This is not a time to go with whoever is cheaper.
3. Make sure the lawyer is easy to communicate with and that he is able to be reached when you need him. A competent attorney should have email, smartphone, landline, and fax, all at the ready so that he can be reached via any means necessary. He should also be prompt in returning calls and messages and not drag his feet when it comes to scheduling meetings with you. In cases of divorce, time is of the essence and communication should not at any time be a hassle.
4. Before signing a contract with an attorney, make sure to get detailed information on what they charge and how often invoices will be sent. Each invoice should have the details on what they have spent the money. The retainer should be discussed before signing any paperwork as well as what the initial consultation fee will be.
5. Above all of these things, you should be comfortable in the abilities of the attorney to put you in the best position during the divorce proceedings. You do not want to be left underrepresented when it comes to defending yourself during a divorce. This is especially true if there are children involved and you are fighting for custody.
As you can see, there are several things to think about before actually hiring an attorney. The only thing that is certain is that you will definitely need one before entering into the divorce proceedings. You will want to be as prepared as possible and the only way to do this is to make sure you are armed with the best divorce lawyer around. This will mean you are not only preparing for the present but also preparing for the future. Good luck!…